As (phrases)





As (phrases)





 as well  

adverb:

: In addition; also; too 

 Example 

・He mentioned other matters as well.
・The museum provides hour of fun and few surprises as well.



 may (might) as well do 

adverb:

:To the same effect:

1. there is no reason sb should not do something.

2. A phrase indicating that it is probably better to do something than not to do it.


NOTE:
The only difference between "may as well" and "might as well" is that "might as well" is more commonly heard in everyday speach.



 Example 

・They may (might) as well walk as drive in this traffic. (same effect)
・I may (might) as well go to the store now.(intension)
・You may (might) as well have dinner with us.(suggestion to others)



 as well as… 


1 conjunction: And in addition

 Example 

・He is brave as well as strong.


"As well as" has a similar meaning to "not only ~ but also".

 Example 

・She is clever as well as beautiful. (= She is not only beautiful, but also clever.)



NOTE:
"as well as" introduces information which is already known to the listener/reader; the rest of the sentence gives new information.



2 Preposition: In addition to


 Example 

・we offer electronic toys as well as rent out video games.
・Smoking is dangerous, as well as making you smell bad.



"As well as" in this use has a similar meaning to "besides, beside, beyond, over and above".

 Example 

・Smoking is dangerous, as well as making you smell bad.
(=Smoking is dangerous, besides makes you smell bad.)



Check the difference between:
・She sings as well as playing the piano. ( = She not only plays, but also sings.)
・She sings as well as she plays the piano. ( = Her singing is as good as her playing.)



NOTE:
1:When we put a verb after as well as, we use the -ing form.

 Example 

He hurt his arm, as well as breaking his leg. (NOT ~ as well as broke his leg.)

2:If there is an infinitive in the main clause, an infinitive without "to" is possible after as well as.

 Example 

・I have to do homework as well as clean my room.



Use for Subject:


It is possible to connect two subjects with "as well as". If the first subject is singular, the verb is usually singular. 

 Example 

・Mary, as well as Annwas delighted to hear the news.


NOTE:
This is not a common structure. It is more normal to put "as well as ~after the main clause. This almost always happens with pronoun subjects.

 Example 

・Mary was delighted to hear the news as well as Ann.
He is rich as well as me. (NOT He, as well as I/me, is rich.)








 as long as 


conjunction:

Expressing time


 1. During the time that (=while, as):  

The "as long as" construction is used when we are making comparisons and comparing ideas of similar magnitude or duration

 Example 

・The football match lasted as long as the concert.
・He worked for as long as he wanted to on the project."Take as long as you like," they said. "There's no hurry!"
・Stay as long as you like.
As long as I live, I shall smoke no more cigarettes.
・He has lived there as long as I have known him.



 2. Since:(=because, as)  

"As long as" means the same as "because" (= "since"). "As long as" tends to be used in more informal spoken English.

 Example 

As long as you're going, I'll go too
As long as you have the time, why don't you come for dinner?
As long as you've offered, I accept.
As long as it's raining, I won't go out tonight.
As long as I had a lot to do, I woke up very early this morning. 




 3. On the condition that, If, only if, Provided (providing) that, :  

NOTE:
"So long as" is also possible in this context. 


Expressing condition

"As long as" is also used in conditional sentences as an alternative to "provided", meaning "if" and "only if".

We can use these alternatives to "if" if we want to emphasize the conditions surrounding the action,

One thing will happen only if another thing happens.

We can also use "so long as" and "providing (that)" as alternatives to "as long as" and "provided (that)".

"On condition that" is formally very explicit.
"Provided / providing" are more formal than "as long as / so long as".
 


 Example 

・You can leave early, as long as you finish the work.
・You can go home early, so long as you finish the work.
・ I will cooperate as long as I am notified on time.
As long as we cooperate, we can finish the work easily.
・She can go out as long as she promises to be back at midnight.
・He can watch TV as long as he stays quiet.
・You can borrow my car so long as you promise not to drive too fast.
・I don't mind having a dog in the house so long as it's clean.
As long as the criticism is honestly given and doesn't get personal, I can mind it.




 as much / as much as 

 as much  

adverb

:The same or virtually the same.

 Example 

・I'm sure she would do as much for me.
・Can you do as much?
・I thought as much. She said as much.
・He was greatly praised, while I was as much scolded.



 (as) much as 

conjunction:

:however much: even though

 Example 

Much as I'd like to blame you, I know I can't.
Much as she needed the job, she had to refuse.
Much as I'd like to go, I cannot.


 so much as 

adverb:

Used as an intensive to indicate something unexpected; even: (often used with not or without)

 Example 

・Without so much as asking, he walked into the office.
・He doesn't so much as say hello to me.
・He wouldn't so much as look at me.
・Without so much as a by your leave.
(Meaning:Without even asking for permission.)



 as much as  

adverb

1:In effect,
2:nearly the same as:
 

 Example 

・I don't play football as much as I used to.
・He as much as admitted the whole story.
・Mom as much as told Jane she couldn't go.
・You can Stay as much as possible.
・That is as much her fault as his.
・There is as much difficulty in doing this as in doing that.





 as far as (so far as)  

conjunction:
To the degree or extent that:

 Example 

・It is an excellent piece of work, as far as I can tell.
・Maybe, this is safe, as far as we know.
・She can come whenever she likes, as far as I'm concerned.
・Let's swim as far as we can.

 as (so) far as … is concerned 

idiom:

1:Used when somebody is giving their opinion about something.
2:Used for saying which person or thing you are talking about.


 Example 

As far as I'm concerned, I have no complaint.
・That's all right, so far as I'm concerned.
・we felt pretty safe as far as the fire was concerned.
as far as I'm concerned, it's a mistake.
・I make the decisions as far as finance is concerned.
As far as I'm concerned, nobody can beat me.



preposition:

with regard to ; with respect to; with reference to 


 Example 

As far as a menu for the event, I haven't given it any thought.
・Go down this road as far as the traffic light, and turn left.
・This church dates back as far as the reign of Elizabeth.
・I'm not going to the library, but I can take you as far as the station.




 as if (though) 

conjunction:

1:As it would be if
2:As one would do if
3:That 


 Example 

・He smiled as if to welcome her.
・I felt sick, as though I'd just eaten a dozen bad oysters.
・It was as if the world had come to an end.
・She reached out, as though to touch my face.
・He ran as if ghosts were chasing him
・The old man stumbled, as if he were about to fall.




 others 

 as to / as for 

preposition:

1:With regard to;About
2:According to
3:In a manner conforming or corresponding to (only "as to"



 Example 

As to your earlier question, I don't think I know the answer.
・Sort them as to size and color.
・He said nothing as to the time.
As for the others, they'll arrive later
As for the journey, we will decide that later.



 as yet 

adverb:

Until; Up to the present or specified time; thus far

 Example 

・We haven't needed extra staff as yet, but may do in the future.
・No ambulances had as yet managed to get across the river.
As yet, no one has thought of a solution.



 as such  

adverb:

1: In the exact sense of the word; In itself or In themselves; Per se; with respect to its inherent nature

2:As being what is indicated ; Therefore; Thus; so. 



 Example 

As such the gift was worth little.
・An officer of the law, as such, is entitled to respect.
・I'm not a big fan of popular music, as such; I much prefer opera.
・Openly declared as such
・Wealth, as such, does not matter much.
・She was an actress and was treated as such.



 such as 

adverb:

1:For example
2:like; of the kind mentioned; of a similar kind as
3:of the (usually small) amount; etc. 


 Example 

・Light colors such as pastels.
・Voiced consonants such as `b' and `g' and `z'.
・Man fears disasters such as floods and fires.
・I like flowers such as roses and lilies.
・The food, such as there was, was excellent.